Need help buying first roof top tent
Optimized-contourmapping

Need help buying first roof top tent

Alan Marce

I wouldn't say we are new to camping as we now have nearly 3 years under out belt. But we do want to get off the ground and move into a tent that will site on top of our Tacoma. I have seen plenty of trucks and trailers with tents on top of them, but I have never asked questions about them till now.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I mount on top of the cab of my truck or should I mount over the bed? If I mount on the back, I think I need to get one of those racks that mount over the bed of the truck. If that is the case, I need suggestions for that as well please.

2. Regarding roof top tents, what are some good brands I should be looking into? If you can suggest specific models that will hold 2 adults and a child that would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Alan

Your better off mounting on your bed over a bed rack. Tons of options you can get a partial or full height. Now in terms of tents you can get some that are made perfectly for your trucks bed. Check out iKamper, 4x4colorado and CTS.

Hey Alan, welcome here! Next your best bet would be to mount your tent over a bed rack. Personally I would go with a rack that positions the tents closed height with the top of your cabs roof. Regarding good tent options, you have been already recommended some. I would only be echo'ing those.